Our inbox is full of listener mail, with your recommendations for great books to read for kids and adults of all ages. Listen to a special bonus episode of Kidliterate as we answer some listener questions, offer our recommendations, AND share the books that you’re reading and loving lately. Join us!
What you’re reading:
- Emma Smith and daughter Kate offered thoughts on whether Allegra should be able to watch Friends (Emma’s children’s books are favorites in Sarah’s family – especially Journey: Based on the True Story of OR7, the Most Famous Wolf in the West)
- Michele is reading The Lager Queen of Minnesota: A Novel, by J. Ryan Stradal
- Michele’s son (age 7) is reading the Dog Man series and together they’re reading the Judy Moody books; her daughter (age 5) is loving The Princess in Black series as a read-aloud
- Marina just finished Becoming, by Michelle Obama
- Marina’s 3.5 year-old loves Dragons Love Tacos and the sequel, and 1-year-old loves any lift-the-flap books
- Hannah wanted first chapter book recommendations to read aloud to her 4-year-old. We recommend The Magic Treehouse series, Beezus & Ramona, Ramona The Pest, Little House in the Big Woods, and The Mouse & The Motercycle (also: ask your local librarian for help choosing an early chapter book)
- Listener Kim recommended The Penderwicks series to Allegra, who has already read (and loved) the first four and was glad for the reminder to check out the latest book in the series
- Laura, whose sons are 6 and 3, asked if Allegra listens to The Mom Hour
- Joyce is reading American Royals by Katharine McGee, and she’s reading The Magic Treehouse series with her 4-year-old and that they are also starting to getting into Harry Potter (we talked about the illustrated versions)
- Sarah mentioned a discussion from The New York Times’s guide How to Raise a Reader on waiting to begin reading Harry Potter to kids until middle elementary school (the whole guide is worth reading, but this section is in Emerging Readers)
Email us at email@example.com – we’d love to hear from you!