With the holidays coming and winter upon us, crafting and making have taken over our house! Join us for a conversation full of recommendations for bringing maker arts into your home: we cover paper airplane making and origami, self-taught knitting, bead work, craft kits, and more. We also share resources for learning these handicrafts online, plus how our family organizes supplies for creative making. As always, we’ll share what we’re reading, too!
This is the final episode of 2020! We’ll take an extra week off over the holiday and be back the first Monday of 2021, on January 4. Talk to you then!
This episode is sponsored by StoryWorth, a perfect gift for grandparents and other loved ones this holiday season. No shipping is required, and you can gift a subscription right up until Christmas (great for last-minute shopping!). Save $10 at storyworth.com/kidlit.
Several of the tutorials below are on YouTube, which we usually use only with supervision/parents in the room in our home. Do what works for you!
- How To Finger Knit A Beanie Hat
- How to Knit a Scarf for the Absolute Beginner
- THEMAGICYARNS on Etsy (Allegra bought this package)
- This deluxe jewelry making kit is great for older kids and teens/adults who love beadwork
- This book of Papertoy Monsters is hours of fun!
- Origami Way
- Origami with Jo Nakashima
- Foldable Flight (YouTube for paper airplanes)
- The Mom Hour podcast is running a promotion with Annie’s Kit Clubs–craft kits that come with a ready-to-make project each month
- How To Make Harry Potter Wands (our family used a similar tutorial to this one and we’ve done the project several times!)
- Allegra is reading Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power by Jon Meacham
- Sarah has The Soul of America: The Battle For Our Better Angels, also by Jon Meacham, on her nightstand
What you’re reading:
We’re saving our submissions for WYR this week so that we can do a whole episode in January based on your book recommendations–keep those emails and messages coming!
Email us at email@example.com – we’d love to hear from you!