Today’s episode is a BIG roundup of the books, movies, and other media our family has been loving lately. We cover everything from little kid tablet games to YouTube art tutorials, sci-fi books to documentary series. And, as always, we share what we’ve been reading AND what you’ve been reading. Join us!
This episode is sponsored by StoryWorth, a perfect gift for grandparents and other loved ones this holiday season. No shipping is required, and you can gift a subscription right up until Christmas (great for last-minute shopping!). Save $10 at storyworth.com/kidlit.
In the order we discussed them…
- We did another roundup of our family’s favorites (with different recommendations, of course!) back in March, in Episode 10
- Just Add Magic (an Amazon Prime original series)
- Sci-Fi books in general, and specifically Ready Player One, Ready Player Two, The Martian, Artemis, and Armada
- Christmas movies in general, and specifically Dr. Seuss’s The Grinch (the 2018 animated version), Home Alone, Frosty The Snowman and Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
- Christmas music via Spotify curated playlists like this one
- Harry Potter audiobooks on Audible
- How-to-draw YouTube channels: Allegra likes Draw So Cute, and Reid likes Art For Kids Hub
- Reid loves origami YouTube videos, like these (we’ll talk more about paper crafts in our next episode!)
- As a family we’re still loving The Amazing Race, and Allegra loves watching The Office
- Violet (age 7) rediscovered the Toca Town app, and we love all the Toca Boca games and bundles
- Tiny World, a docuseries from Apple TV+, is blowing our minds
- Magic Camp, a Disney+ original, was a hit with all three Powers kids
- Emma Bland Smith is a longtime listener AND a children’s book author we love. She recently sent our family copies of Claude, The Pig War, Odin, and the Maddy McGuire, CEO chapter book series.
- We love the NYTimes Cooking App for finding and saving recipes that the whole family will eat
- Allegra is reading Armada by Ernest Cline
- Sarah is re-reading The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder
What you’re reading:
- Cora, age 7, is reading Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls, Volume 2
- Lucy, age 5, is reading a Nancy Clancy Super Sleuth book
- Alice, age 4, loves Amanda Pig stories right now
- They are all into chapter book series like Rainbow Magic Fairies, Never Girls, Magic Tree House, and Whatever After
- Mom Erin just started The Searcher by Tana French
Valerie wrote to say that she and 7-year-old Samantha have been enjoying the Wildwood Chronicles series by Colin Meloy.
Email us at email@example.com – we’d love to hear from you!