Listening to audiobooks is a great way to pass the time on car rides or during long days at home, and we have some specific suggestions for HOW to get your kids hooked on listening to great books. In today’s episode we share ideas for getting started with audiobooks (even with very young children), plus some specific titles that we love for little kids and several more our bigger kids have been loving lately. As always, we wrap up the episode with what we’ve been reading and what YOU’ve been reading. Enjoy!
Want to help us out? Take our short listener survey before February 28, 2021 by clicking here.
- Sarah briefly mentioned The Soul of America by Jon Meacham
- Your public library most likely uses the Libby app to borrow digital titles (including audiobooks) for FREE, and read/listen to them on your preferred device
- When Violet was a preschooler we got a LOT of mileage out of Disney stories, which you can find free on Spotify (essentially the audio versions of familiar animated films)
- The Frog & Toad Audio Collection was a favorite with little listeners
- Allegra and Sarah love listening to the Little House audiobooks, long after we’ve read them in print. We enjoyed The Long Winter and Little Town on the Prairie most recently
- Violet loves The Bad Beginning, A Multi-Voice Recording: A Series of Unfortunate Events #1
- Allegra and Violet are currently listening to The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell
- Reid and Violet love the Guinea Dog collection of audiobooks
- We all thoroughly enjoyed The Tale of Desperaux
- If you haven’t already listened, check out Episode 02, which has more audiobook recommendations!
Sarah is reading All Creatures Great & Small by James Herriott (and loving it!). Allegra just finished Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys, and is thinking about starting A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.
What you’re reading:
Jenna from British Columbia wrote to use to share what she and daughters Neva and Tessa are reading:
- Neva (age 6) is loving The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street by Karina Yan Glaser
- Tessa (age 3) loves all the Pigeon books by Mo Willems
- Jenna is reading The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org – we’d love to hear from you!