If you’re listening, you probably identify as a reader. But do you give much thought to WHERE, WHEN, and HOW you read? Today’s episode is all about our family’s reading habits; with two grownups and three kids, we run the gamut between late-night marathon readers to early birds who read in the morning, and everything in between. In this episode we also chat about electronic vs. paper books, reading in bed vs. outside, and more. Plus we’ll share what we’re reading and what YOU’re reading. Join us!
Want to help us out? Take our short listener survey by clicking here.
Links we discussed:
- Allegra mentioned that she’s reading Factfulness: Ten Reasons We’re Wrong About the World–and Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling
- Allegra also mentioned The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Violet (age 8) has been totally obsessed with The One & Only Ivan and The One & Only Bob, both by Katherine Applegate
- Allegra (12) and her 10-year-old brother both have Kindle Paperwhite e-readers, which Sarah has set up so that they only show certain books and aren’t browser-enabled
- Allegra has this cover for her Kindle and Reid has this one
We are part of the Amazon Affilates Program, which means if you click through one of our Amazon links and make a purchase, we earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks!
What we’re reading:
- Sarah isn’t reading much right now, but recently binge-listened to the true crime podcast Your Own Backyard
- Allegra has discovered a new genre she likes: “realistic fiction set in high school”. She loved Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli, and has already read two more by the same author: The Upside to Unrequited and Yes No Maybe So
- Allegra just finished The Selection series by Kiera Cass (here’s the Commonsense Media review)
- Sarah is finishing up The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels by Jon Meacham
- Sarah has on deck All Creatures Great & Small by James Herriott (our family also loves the James Herriot Treasury for Children, and can’t wait to watch the PBS series soon!)
- Sarah also has Untamed by Glennon Doyle on her nightstand
What you’re reading:
- Cora, age 7, is reading Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls, Volume 2
- Lucy, age 5, is reading a Nancy Clancy Super Sleuth book
- Alice, age 4, loves Amanda Pig stories right now
- They are all into chapter book series like Rainbow Magic Fairies, Never Girls, Magic Tree House, and Whatever After
- Mom Erin just started The Searcher by Tana French
- Jaida wrote to share that she’s been listening to audiobooks lately, especially as a way to hear unfamiliar cultures and language pronounced by native speakers. She especially enjoyed Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org – we’d love to hear from you!