Ready to read more in 2021? We’ve got you covered with listener-recommended books for everyone in the family, toddler through adult! Join us as we welcome in a new year of reading by sharing what’s new and what’s motivating us in our own reading lives, and then present YOUR book suggestions through emails and voicemails we’ve collected recently. You’ll hear from kids and grownups from around the world as they share what books they’ve been loving lately. Enjoy!
Want to help us out? Take our short listener survey by clicking here.
Looking for book recommendations for babies through early elementary? Go check out friend of the podcast Katie, teacher and mom of three, and the creator of @littleslicesoflit on Instagram. Highly recommend!
- Allegra recently finished Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel , and also loved Jefferson’s Sons by Kimberly Brubraker Bradley
- Sarah finished The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd and is now reading Burnout: The Secret to Unlocking The Stress Cycle by Emily Nagoski and Amelia Nagoski
What you’re reading:
Here are the books mentioned by listeners, in the order you heard them on the podcast:
- Ella, age 8, is reading the Zoe & Sassafrass series and The Worst Witch series
- Erin of Canberra, Australia recommended the Nancy Clancy chapter book series for her 5-year-old, and for her 3-year-old loves Sherri Duskey Rinker’s Construction Site books, Goodnight, Truck by Sally Odgers, and this personalized trucks book from the I See Me! collection
- Taryn, age 11, loved the Pages & Co series by Anna James (which led her to reading some classics!). She and her mom Allison are reading Little Women together, and Allison recommends Daring Greatly by Brene Brown and The Road Back To You by Ian Morgan Cron
- Abby, mom to 2-year-old Reid, loved Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston, and she and Reid love reading Eric Carle’s The Very Busy Spider together
- The Crail Family sent in three messages together!
- Mom Kim loved The Lager Queen of Minnesota by J. Ryan Stradal, Good Girl Bad Girl by Michael Robotham, The Constant Rabbit by Jasper Fforde, and What Rose Forgot by Nevada Barr
- Cameron (almost 10) recommends The Apothecary by Maile Meloy, One Life by Megan Rapinoe, Hatchet by Gary Paulson, and Restart by Gordon Korman
- Quinn (age 7) loved Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope Osborne and Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Wrecking Ball by Jeff Kinney
- Cate, age 12, is reading Little Women, and together with her mom is enjoying All Creatures Great & Small by James Herriott. Mom (and children’s book author!) Emma Bland Smith is reading Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed
- Marina is reading My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor, and her 2-year-old loves looking at the First 100 Words and First 100 Animals books
- Kayden, age 8, loved Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org – we’d love to hear from you!