For a family who doesn’t do a ton of screen-based entertainment during the week, we have a lot to say about gaming! In Episode 18 of Kidliterate, Sarah and Allegra are joined by 10-year-old Reid for a look at video game console systems, the upsides to social gaming (especially in a pandemic!), and which games our family loves lately. We also talk about the virtual reality headset our family purchased in 2019, and where it fits into the gaming and entertainment picture. As always, we share what we’re reading lately, and what you’ve been reading too. Enjoy!
Good Night Stories For Rebel Girls
This episode is sponsored by Good Night Stories For Rebel Girls, the best-selling book and podcast (now in its fourth season!). Look for the podcast wherever you like to listen, and thanks to Rebel Girls for sponsoring our show!
We are part of the Amazon Affilates Program, which means if you click through one of our Amazon links and make a purchase, we earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks!
Links we discussed:
- Apple Arcade
- Nintendo Switch
- Sneaky Sasquatch
- Animal Crossing
- Oculus Quest
- Angry Birds VR
- National Geographic VR Explore
What we’re reading:
- Sarah isn’t reading much right now, but recently binge-listened to the true crime podcast Your Own Backyard
- Allegra has discovered a new genre she likes: “realistic fiction set in high school”. She loved Kate in Waiting by Becky Albertalli, and has already read two more by the same author: The Upside to Unrequited and Yes No Maybe So
- Reid is reading The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
- Allegra is reading What Not To Do If You Turn Invisible by Ross Welford
- Sarah is reading The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd
What you’re reading:
- Cora, age 7, is reading Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls, Volume 2
- Lucy, age 5, is reading a Nancy Clancy Super Sleuth book
- Alice, age 4, loves Amanda Pig stories right now
- They are all into chapter book series like Rainbow Magic Fairies, Never Girls, Magic Tree House, and Whatever After
- Mom Erin just started The Searcher by Tana French
Catherine, Amelia and Lucy are listening from Melbourne, Australia! They love The Treehouse Series by Andy Griffiths and The Very Cranky Bear Hardcover by Nick Bland (we forgot to mention it, but Catherine herself is reading Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org – we’d love to hear from you!